11 Jun 2018
Five minutes with our hygienist, Lina Ziliene
What is your position in Pembroke Dental?
I am the in house hygienist here at Pembroke Dental.
What does your average day look like?
Once a patient has come to my room, I help get them settled and relaxed by having a brief chat and then asking a few general questions- such as what kind of tooth brush they use or whether they use inter dental brushes. Later, I provide a gentle mouth exam where I look at the teeth and measure between the teeth and gums. During this time, I check for recession and look at whether the gums are healthy or if they are bleeding at all. After this I begin what we call ‘plaque control’ treatment and give my patient’s mouth a professional clean. If a deeper clean is required, I can provide local anesthetic for those who may feel a little nervous.
After treatment, the patient and I will look at their brushing technique together and see if there are any areas that we can improve. I can then recommend any tools, mouth washes, tooth pastes or gels that the patient may benefit from.
What do you like most about working in Pembroke Dental?
For me, a good atmosphere and friendly colleagues are really important and it is very much like that at Pembroke so I really like working here.
How would you describe yourself in three words?
- Very responsible – I think about my patients’ care a lot (sometimes even at home!)
- Patients say that I am very gentle and that they feel safe under my care which is great to know.
Why is your annual plaque control so important?
Annual plaque control helps patients stay on top of their dental health and prevent gum disease. Take a look at our hygiene post for more information on why it is important to see your hygienist.
- Tips from our skincare expert: Protecting your skin from the sun
- What does GDPR mean to me?
- Why should I go for a hygiene appointment?
- Prosecco and teeth - what’s the deal?
- Caring for your feet
- Invisalign - the nearly invisible alternative to braces
- Planning a summer holiday this year? Don’t forget your teeth
- The Mouth is the Mirror of the Body
- New website focuses on patient needs
- Five-minutes with our Periodontist, Dr Phillip Christie
- Understanding costs
- What is a smile makeover?
- Five minutes with Rachel Murphy
- The social media generation
- Getting them off to the right start
- Five minutes with Dr Davina Graham
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Getting greener with your dental health
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award