15 Jan 2018
Getting greener with your dental health
No longer is being a green or ethically conscious consumer a thing for the alternative crowd. Never before has it been so popular to think about the products we use, the environment and what goes into them. In a recent article by Dentistry Today, it was said that the global market has seen an increasing demand for natural and organic products. The author explained that a heightened awareness to synthetic ingredients and in equal measure, healthy lifestyle choices are reasons for this.
Within dentistry, the importance placed on safety and cross infection control makes it more difficult to create green and sustainable tools and products but this doesn’t mean to say that things aren’t changing and as a patient, it is certainly getting easier to make more conscious consumer choices.
To begin with, there are the ever growing list of 'eco' tooth brushes such as 'The Humble Toothbrush', created by Swedish organisation, ‘The Humble Smile Foundation’ The brushes are made of bamboo which is a sustainable, organic material and for every brush bought, money is sent to the foundation which works to help end suffering from oral health problems across the globe. They are currently sold at Holland and Barrett and online.
Here at Pembroke we love our animals and with cosmetics and animals testing in mind, we recently found a site called Cruelty free Kitty with a long list of cruelty free (and sometimes vegan) cosmetic brands, both in the luxury and high street markets. You’d be surprised by some of the big names that now have products proclaiming admirable, ethical standards!
When it comes to dental health products, it’s difficult to find options that are ethically produced but also contain fluoride. As a dental team, we are well aware of the proven benefits of fluoride on tooth enamel. The Irish Dental Health Foundation says: “Water Fluoridation and the appropriate use of fluorides play a major part in public health policy in Ireland in the prevention and management of tooth decay.” In our professional opinion, fluoride is essential so we were pleased to see Tom of Maine’s ‘Simply White’ Natural toothpaste on the list as this both contains fluoride and has the ADA’s approval. There is also a brand called Kingfisher which offers toothpaste containing fluoride and natural, non synthetic ingredients.
A recent study suggested that Generation Y ie those born between roughly 1980-1995, are the most ethical generation to date and Generation Z (teenagers now) could top them!
The ability to do our own research into what we consume is so much easier and with this in mind we predict that there will be more ethical dental products in the shops soon.
If you are someone who is interested in ethical, natural dental products, we recommend that you do your research, shop around and don’t forget to keep your teeth healthy- we would always advise that you choose a toothpaste that contains fluoride.
- Keeping kids teeth healthy!
- Five minutes with Dr Lisa Doyle
- Fastbraces in Leinster
- Double award win for Pembroke!
- Braces aren’t just for kids
- Ultherapy, the facelift without needles
- We’re having babies later than ever
- The world’s oldest dentist is a Neanderthal
- The Celtic roots of Halloween
- Need a mouthguard for the Schools Fitness Challenge?
- "Record teeth extractions in under-4s"
- Poor diet behind one in five deaths
- Scientists: smiling makes you better
- How to stay safe with Botox and dermal fillers
- Carlow men urged to get checked for high blood pressure
- We’re getting wiser about sugar
- We think our kids deserve better
- How dogs domesticated humans
- Men, remember to service your chassis once a year
- Proud end to Carlow’s All-Ireland campaign
- Handle mail order braces with care
- Nine weeks left for our Invisalign girl Natasha
- How our new scanner makes your life better
- Welcome to our new Bunclody dental practice
- Meet Karen. You can ask her anything
- Into the future with an Intero Digital Scanner
- Meet our new treatment co ordinator
- Invisalign Open Evenings in March
- Rejuve moves to Pembroke
- Best Child Friendly Practice!
- Making the shortlist
- Double Celebration
- Open Evening at The Granby Clinic
- Our travelling dentists
- Spooky Halloween snack ideas
- Teen Week
- Specialist Hearing Aid services now at The Granby Clinic
- What would we do without you?
- Invisalign Open Day
- Braces on a Saturday!
- Best Practice 2016
- Five Pembroke Dental entries shortlisted for 2016 Irish Dentistry Awards
- Physical therapist joins Granby clinic
- Team Spirit
- If you've got it covered, so have we!
- Elisa and Naoimi pass with flying colours!
- Thank you Carlow!
- A new face in town
- Foot care now available @Granby
- Pembroke Dental's new baby @Granby Dental
- Pembroke Dental Laboratory offers Valplast
- Periodontist and Implant Specialist joins Pembroke
- Congratulations to Kayla!
- Second Practice of the Year Award